Welcome to "The Diary of a Miner"; a blog detailing the adventures and mysteries that I, Syeonyx, embark upon in my quest to further my mining and survival skills! It'll be tough, there will be good times and bad times, but I'll always be alive to post my adventures... probably...

Day 2: My house...

     Despite me being incredibly tired, I didn't sleep a wink last night at all... It was pitch black in the hole, and throughout the night, all I could hear was the sounds of movement: scuffling, moaning. The worst of all was the constant sound of wood being scratched. I knew that there were no trees around where i had decided to put my house foundations. And I knew the only other source of wood within range of my hole was the beginnings of my house... I just refused to believe that anything had happened to it. After the sounds died down, I peeked out and noticed the sun creep over the edge of the cliff, delivering warming rays of light onto my face, and the valley I was stuck in. Then I noticed it; the light crept slowly to the west and suddenly my house was illuminated...


My... house...

     After making sure the coast was clear, I approached the ruins of my house: the majority of the walls were gone, the floor was ripped up and there was no hint of a ceiling. Something, or someone, had sabotaged my house! My fresh start on a new job, on the first day! I must admit it took some time to get over... more time than I'd like to admit. But, after some deep thought, I consoled myself to the fact that it could've been worse... I could've died. But I didn't, and began the day anew!

     After awhile of exploring for more wood (I'd exhausted the area of wood around site 1, the "cursed site" I now call it) I came across a more sinister sight: an ominous hole... In fact I kinda convinced myself that this new thing and the incedent with my house were linked... A hole... into nothing. The stranger thing about it was that there seemed to be a natural spring nearby, running water directly into it, with a crude set of stairs leading down into it.

I decided that it would be best if I blocked it up with wood to prevent similar events happening again, and prayed that whatever demolished my house couldn't get through the large wooden panels I placed around the hole... not holding up much hope though.

     A little while after constructing the wooden plug for the hole, I came across a huge stockpile of wood... in tree form! Using the axe I made yesterday, I made easy work of the trunk and had a sufficient amount to make a decent house. However, don't think I haven't learnt my lesson. I scaled another cliff wall - finding small veins of coal along the way - and found an ideal spot to place the foundations for my new house: on top of a cliff, overlooking 3 different sides, with the last side against a cliff wall. No way was any creature - or critter for that matter - going to get to me with ease! And with that, I tasked myself with the construction of the house for the rest of the day!

     I've just finished the bottom floor for the rudimentary house I've created, with floors, a ceiling and even a few windows! I boarded the other windows up with wood for the moment to stop anything getting in through the gaps. I'm not taking any chances tonight. The door has a motion sensor which opens the door whenever I am within range. Made it so it's only me as well! I've even made a small cellar allowing me to make a mine shaft safely under my house, so I don't have to worry about exploring too much. If I get time, I may make bridges from my house to adjacent cliffs to expand my mining operation. But first, I think I'll concentrate on finding my first ore!

Syeonyx signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment