Welcome to "The Diary of a Miner"; a blog detailing the adventures and mysteries that I, Syeonyx, embark upon in my quest to further my mining and survival skills! It'll be tough, there will be good times and bad times, but I'll always be alive to post my adventures... probably...

Day 3: Time to go a-hunting...

     Woke up today with a spring in my step; I have a roof over my head, the beginnings of a mining cellar and I have epic plans for a first floor! However, despite this, I did have plans to survive a bit longer than a week. This meant that I needed food and water... maybe something else to drink. I left the house building for later and decided to go looking for more wood: I swear to god I go through the stuff like no-ones business! I found the wood I needed, and some saplings too. I thought that a more accessible source of wood would help me to gather it easier later on. I found some stone too, so I was able to fashion a crude dagger for hunting. I also thought it could double up as a form of self-defence. After a bit of wandering on some flat grazing plains, I found a few cows and a few pigs; just what I was after. Thankfully I don't have much of a conscience, and was able to get some hides for a change of clothing and meat for food and for storing. Just need to equip the cellar with a cool cupboard.

     At about midday I headed back towards my house and made a start on the second floor, but, as usual, I got distracted by something off in the distance. A little to the North was a huge deposit of coal which I never would've spotted from the ground. But getting to it presented the biggest challenge for me so far. Instead of building a platform to it I decided to kill two birds with one stone, and build a bridge from the ground floor of my house to the cliff wall. This would later allow me to excavate and expand into different areas, without ever really having to actually touch the ground. I still never finished the top floor of my house, and yet I found time to make a balcony for it... :S Don't ask...

    I've finally settled in, I've provided myself with the basics and now it's simply a case of acquiring the luxuries! I found a few cacti, and with the cuttings from them, I've created a cactus plantation to make dyes for cloth. Just for a laugh, I dyed a sheep green xD It was getting far too close to the house entrance and was generally being annoyed. It really made my day to see a green sheep trot off into the distance! With the dye, I managed to make some custom towels, and I hope to start making some frames from some of the polaroids I'm taking: admittedly the first floor isn't finished, but it'd be nice to have something to put on the walls when it is. I still haven't decided what to do for the ceiling design: it hasn't rained yet so a flat roof would save resources, however it was rather foggy this morning, which didn't bode well. Talking of rain, I'm thinking of finding a spot of fertile land to start a small farm to grow crops. Then I can make things like bread and cake! I think I deserve a treat to be honest.

     Towards the end of the day I spotted something that was truly epic:

An above-ground cave system which seemed to descend into the ground! I've been around hundreds of MiNES but I've never seen anything like that before... It is definately worth exploring. Who knows how many other marvels await me in this land. I think tomorrow I really need to map out the general area around my house: the more I know about my surrouding environment, the easier is it to exploit and defend! I think for now though, I'm going to dig out a bit more of the cellar and make a start with the mine shaft. I'm following my training and am using plenty of torchs to light my path. The last thing I need is a creature attacking me half-way down a shaft!

Syenoyx signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment